Christmas gone nothing happened but we did see a lot happening as Comex pulled back his version of the untethered iOS jailbreak and gave hope of an alternative. However the iPhone Dev Team has lived up to our expectations as they just released their Backup Plan.
The reason it has taken this long is because it was being tested and the release itself is the beta version of Redsn0w. This untethered iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak will enable users to jailbreak your iPhone 4, iPod Touch and the iPad on iOS 4.2.1. The requirements for this release include the following:
iPhone, iPad or the iPod Touch on iOS 4.2.1. These should also have the SHSH blobs saved for iOS 4.2 b3. It does not support other devices for now.
- A Mac OS X and access to iOS 4.2b3 firmware file.
- This version is Ultrasn0w compatible.
- This is of course a beta tester version and it is recommended that you try this out at your own risk. Just to hat off a tip, backup your data and remember it has bluetooth disabled.
The procedures are quite simple if unlocking or jailbreaking is a routine for you. These include:
1. You will need to restore your device to the iOS 4.2.1 official firmware and then jailbreak the same using Redsn0w.
2. You need to make sure that your SHSH blobs are saved for the Beta 3 of 4.2. To verify if this is done, start Cydia and wait for the4 page to load. If it reads SHSHL 4.2b3 you are good to go.
3. Once done, you can download Redsn0w 0.9.7 and connect your iOS device to the Mac. You will then need to download the usbmuxd and extract the file to your system. You will need to start Terminal within the python client directory and enter the commands as given below:
chmod +x tcprelay.py
./tcprelay.py -t 22:2222
4. Initiate Redsn0w and direct it to the official iOS 4.2.1 file. Once done you will then need to move to the next step and select Jailbreak Monte checkbox and then the iOS 4.2b3 as shown:
5. Switch off your device and leave it plugged in before proceeding to the next step. It is here that you will have to hold the Power button and then simultaneously press the Home button. A few seconds later you can let go of the Power but continue with holding the Home button until installation begins.
That’s it. Redn0w will now take care of the remaining procedure. Upon completion your iPhone, iPod Touch will start automatically and is jailbroken on the latest firmware.