We have been talking quite a lot about the iOS 4.3 on Startup Meme and thought it was time that we shared a method on how to jailbreak the iOS 4.3 for the iPad. This method is at present tethered only meaning that you will have to boot the device into jailbreak mode each time you restart your device.
In order to jailbreak your device you can follow the given steps. However you will have to ensure that you have the following available:
- PwnageTool bundle for iOS 4.3 GM
- Universal Ramdisk Fixer
- tetheredboot utility
- PwnageTool 4.2
- Access to iOS 4.3 GM firmware
- iTunes 10.2
- Mac OS X
Before I proceed with the steps I would like to thank Taimur Asad for the steps.
Modifying The PwnageTool
1. Download PwnageTool for the iPad and from the zip folder extract and copy iPad1,1_4.3_8F190.bundle to the desktop.
2. Also download PwnageTool 4.2 and move it to the /applications directory here you on clicking the Show Package Content option move to Contents/Resources/FirmwareBundles/ it is here that you will have to paste iPad1,1_4.3_8F190.bundle.
3. To create Custom iOS 4.3 Firmware download the iOS 4.3 GM and move it to the desktop.
4. Start the PwnageTool in Expert Mode and select the device, the iPad in this case.
5. Once the device is select you can hit Build to start creating the custom firmware file.
6. It is here that the PwnageTool will create the custom .ipsw file for the iPad.
7. Enter the DFU mode with the help of the PwnageTool:
- Hold the Home and Power button for 10 seconds
- Release the Power button and keep holding the Home button for another ten seconds. You should then be in the DFU mode.
8. With this done you will then have to restore iOS 4.3 custom firmware using the iTunes. Press and hold the left shift button on Windows or the option key on Mac and hit Restore and release the button. On being prompted by the iTunes for the location of the custom firmware. Select the .ipsw file and hit open.
9. The last step would start automated steps you can watch without needing to do anything, you will of course be seeing the progress bar while the process continues and upon completion you will have a jailbroken iOS 4.3 on your device.
10. The problem is that you don’t have the untethered jailbreak for the iOS 4.3 and in order to get this done you will have to make us of tetheredboot utility which you can download here.
11. To get started you will first need the two files from the iOS 4.3 firmware.
- Those are: kernelcache.release.k48 and iBSS.k48ap.RELEASE.dfu, to proceed you will have to copy the custom file and change the extension to .zip and then extract the same.
- Now copy the kernelcache.release.k48 and iBSS.k48ap.RELEASE.dfu you see under the /Firmware/dfu/.
- You can now move all the files to a new folder that is named Tetheredboot on the desktop.
12. Power off your iPad and start the Terminal on the OS X and run the following command:
Enter your admin pass:
Once done you can hit enter to initiate the process, you will be prompted to enter the DFU mode which you can easily by following the step mentioned earlier. Wait for your iPad boot and once it has, you will now have your device booted in jailbreak tethered mode.
That’s it for now we will try and write about jailbreaking iOS 4.3 on the iPhone 4 as well, stay tuned.